Posts for: September, 2021
Are you ready to replace a missing tooth? Dental implants offered by your Sherman Oaks, CA, dentists, Dr. Michael Amir and Dr. Larry Hamer of SC Dental Group, provide many benefits for your smile.
What are dental implants?
Thanks to dental implants, it's now possible to replace your entire missing tooth, not just the crown (top). The process starts when your dentist places titanium posts in your jawbone during a minor oral surgical procedure. These posts, commonly called implants, begin to osseointegrate, or bond, to your jawbone. Once the posts are firmly attached to the bone, they'll serve as sturdy roots for your new teeth. Dental crowns, synthetic restorations that replace the tops of your missing teeth, are connected to the implants, completing the restoration of your missing teeth.
What advantages do dental implants provide?
Restoring both the roots and the crowns of missing teeth with dental implants offer these benefits for Sherman Oaks, CA, area residents:
- Natural Appearance: Your crowns are made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new teeth look perfectly natural.
- Excellent Biting Power: Your biting power can suffer if you choose a restoration method that only replaces your crowns. Adding strong roots gives your new teeth the ability to bite, grind, tear and chew a variety of foods with ease.
- No Slipping: You won't have to worry about irritation caused by a slipping restoration when you opt for dental implants. Your new teeth won't wobble, slip or slide even if you chew hard or tough foods.
- A Strong Jawbone: Your tooth roots press on your jawbone, which helps it stay strong. Unfortunately, stimulation decreases when you lose teeth, which can cause the bone to weaken and shrink. Eventually, you may lose teeth or notice sagging in the lower part of your face due to this issue. Adding dental implants prevents changes to your jawbone. Your implants provide constant stimulation that helps the bone stay strong.
- Ease of Care: Caring for your new teeth is quick and simple. In fact, you'll treat them just like your natural teeth. You'll need to brush and floss every day to remove plaque. Flossing around the base of your implants is particularly important and can help you avoid an infection that could loosen them.
Replace your missing teeth with dental implants! Call your dentists in Sherman Oaks, CA, Dr. Michael Amir, and Dr. Larry Hamer of SC Dental Group, at (818) 905-5400 to schedule your appointment.